Monday, March 16, 2009

Golden Years.

I turned 80 this year. Pretty big milestone. I'm actually 22, but come on...there's no way. I'm definitely 80. Twenty-two year olds don't do Sudoku in a rocking chair while listening to Miles Davis. The truth is I admire and respect the hell out of old people. They're the best, even the crotchety ones. I've always wanted to be old. To be wise, and well learned. To move at a slower pace and appreciate the time I've been given. I was doing the math, and I found out I will technically turn 80 in the year 2067. This is unacceptable for two reasons; I don't want to wait that long, and there's no way that year exsists. Its just not possible. There are too many obstacles our society would need to hurdle to make it there. I want to believe we can, and we could if people were willing to make sacrifices. Take cruise ships for example. It takes one gallon of fuel to move a cruise ship one foot, and those suckers go far. There's no way our country will ever sacrifice singing drunken karaoke at sea in order to pull us out of an oil war, or save the climate. (hate to be a Debbie Downer, but its true.) Thus, I decided I shall be 80 now. Life is for the living, and I choose to do mine as a senior citizen. I don't get the discounts or the privleged parking, but I also have a fully functioning body. Its a trade off. My favorite thing about turning 80 has been my new found appreciation for hard candies. They're low-cal and keep you busy.

No comments: